Program Goals: Food insecurity in the Bay Area has increased because of the ongoing pandemic. By one estimate, 20% of residents in Silicon Valley seek food support services. Households with children are more likely impacted. The aim of this program is to provide added resources to families at the bedside and in clinics. Volunteers in this program will help to deliver food to families in the hospital. This is a new and exciting program at LPCH with room to grow.
Job Title: Food Support Program Volunteer
Job Location: 725 Welch Road Main/West Building
Monday - Friday
2 hour shifts (No more than three unexcused absences)
12:00 - 2:00pm
- Minimum age of 18 years
- Maximum age of 64 (per Santa Clara Public Health Guidelines)
- Minimum commitment of 6 months
- Strong people skills
- Bilingual a plus
To fulfill the responsibilities of this role, volunteers should expect to walk or stand for a minimum of two hours. Volunteers should also be able to push the delivery cart to designated areas & may be asked bend and reach for low materials on the cart. Volunteers may also need to lift heavier items to refill carts.
- Must have excellent communication skills, sensitivity & good judgment.
- Ability to use resources effectively in providing information.
- Ability to interact with patients, families & staff in a non-judgmental, non-intrusive manner.
- Self-starter with the ability to observe and/or seek out when or where assistance is needed.
- Willing to be trained on tech skills (i.e. data recording).
- Maintain all infection prevention protocols, including: donning and doffing personal protective equipment (PPE), sanitizing equipment before & after shifts, completing daily staff attestation before shifts.
- Deliver snack bags to hospital units in the main & west buildings.
- Hand out any information on food services (if available).
- Communicate with nursing teams to notify teams of delivery windows.
- Ensure social distancing is maintained in interactions with families.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively & relate well to staff and families.
- Must perform all duties & responsibilities in accordance with the hospital''s policies & procedures.
Training/shadowing session with supervisor or trained volunteer.
Periodic updates (written information or training sessions and ongoing checkpoint training as required.
Facilities: Lucile Packard Children's Hospital -Main & West Building
Click here for details